Running virtualgl with Xvfb on ec2 ubuntu headless gpu instance
Stealthy
2013-11-06 20:16:24 UTC
Hi guys,
Hope I can get some help on this one. I have an ec2 instance running using a GPU cluster. I am capturing the Xvfb virtual screen using ffmpeg and would like to have my OPENGL enabled application use the GPU to render. It’s currently rendering everything using the CPU.
I already installed virtualgl but I’m having some trouble intializing virtualgl with Xvfb and ensure the GPU is being used. Anybody could help on this?
Thanks in advance
Desmond
DRC
2013-11-06 20:47:17 UTC
"Trouble initializing VirtualGL with Xvfb" tells me nothing. Please be
specific as to the error messages you are encountering or what is not
working as you expect.
Thanks in advance
Stealthy
2013-11-06 22:21:11 UTC
I am not sure I going through the right steps to enable virtualgl. Post installation I started the Xvfb server with this command:

Xvfb :0.0 -screen 0 1280x720x24 -ac +extension GLX +render -noreset &

I then started what I think is virtualgl with this command expecting any opengl application running after that would use the GPU:

/opt/VirtualGL/bin/vglclient

The application still only uses the CPU.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for the help btw.
--
Desmond
DRC
2013-11-06 22:56:13 UTC
Yes, you're missing quite a lot. Please read the manual. VirtualGL
needs two X servers-- a "3D X server" and a "2D X server." The 3D X
server has to be a real X server attached to the GPU. It can be
headless, but it can't be virtual. The 2D X server can be a virtual X
server, such as VNC or Xvfb.

Secondly, the way you launch a 3D application in VGL is by using vglrun,
not vglclient. The instructions do not ever even specify calling
vglclient directly. vglclient is generally called from vglconnect, but
you don't need to ever use either of those unless your 2D X server and
3D X server are on different machines (which they aren't.)

I'll summarize the steps you need to take (but please do read the manual.)
-- Set up the 3D X server, which should be a "real" X server connected
to the GPU. Make sure the GLX extension works by running glxinfo
against the 3D X server and verifying that it is not using a software
OpenGL renderer (Mesa.)
-- Run vglserver_config to give VirtualGL access to the 3D X server
(this is only necessary if the 3D X server is running some sort of login
manager under the root account, like gdm or xdm. Otherwise, if you are
just starting the 3D X server under your user account, then you should
already have permission to access it.)
-- Start Xvfb (the 2D X server.)
-- Set DISPLAY to point to your Xvfb instance.
-- vglrun {application}
Stealthy

Stealthy
2014-01-10 00:36:48 UTC
Hi guys,

So I am trying to run a 3d application using OPENGL through an EC2 server. The ultimate goal being to capture the screen using Xvfb.

I installed virtualgl and turbovnc. when I run
/opt/VirtualGL/bin/glxinfo -display :0 -c

I get this

name of display: :0
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx version string: 1.4 Mesa 9.2.4
server glx extensions:
GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap,
GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer,
GLX_MESA_pixmap_colormap, GLX_MESA_release_buffers, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
GLX_SGIX_pbuffer

client glx version string: 1.4 Mesa 9.2.4
client glx extensions:
GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap,
GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer,
GLX_MESA_pixmap_colormap, GLX_MESA_release_buffers, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
GLX_SGIX_pbuffer

Obviously I don’t want to use Mesa. Do I have to start the X server in any specific manner to avoid using the MESA software renderer. Did I miss a step.

Thanks for your help guys!
--
Desmond
Kevin Van Workum
2014-01-10 11:53:01 UTC
It looks like your 3D X server (on :0) is not using the driver for your
card. Make sure the "Device" section of xorg.conf has the correct driver
and BusID specified. Secondly, I don't understand why you are using
turbovnc. If you're trying to do captures with Xvfb, what's turobvnc for?
Kevin Van Workum, PhD
Sabalcore Computing Inc.
"Where Data Becomes Discovery"
http://www.sabalcore.com
877-492-8027 ext. 11

Stealthy
2014-01-10 18:53:53 UTC
Checked my xorg.conf file and the driver is nvidia, see below.
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Unknown"
HorizSync 28.0 - 33.0
VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BusID "PCI:0:3:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "UseDisplayDevice" "none"
SubSection "Display"
Virtual 1024 768
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Not sure why it’s still using mesa.

As to the use of turbovnc this is what I was told when I was setting this up:
"VirtualGL needs two X servers-- a "3D X server" and a "2D X server." The 3D X
server has to be a real X server attached to the GPU. It can be
headless, but it can't be virtual. The 2D X server can be a virtual X
server, such as VNC or Xvfb.”

Isn’t this true? Are you saying I can just run everything through Xvfb and still have my application run through virtualgl and use the gpu? That would make things quite easier if that is possible.

Thanks!
--
Desmond
Post by Stealthy
[...]
Accelerate application performance with scalable programming models.
Explore
techniques for threading, error checking, porting, and tuning. Get the
most
from the latest Intel processors and coprocessors. See abstracts and
register
DRC
Kevin Van Workum
2014-01-10 19:53:03 UTC
DRC was correct. You need a 3D X server, which is your Xorg X11 server. And
you need a 2D server; either VNC or Xvfb, not both. If you goal is to use
Xvfb to capture images, then use Xvfb as the 2D server.

Stealthy
2014-01-10 19:55:13 UTC
Sounds good. So I’ll just start my X server like usual and point my Xvfb server to the same display?

About the Mesa issue below. You see anything abnormal in my xorg.conf file below? Don’t understand why it’s still using Mesa when it should be using hardware acceleration through the GPU.

Thanks for the help guys!

--
Desmond
DRC
2014-01-10 20:26:28 UTC
No, not the same display. The 3D X server and 2D X server need to be on
different displays. Usually the 3D X server is on :0 if you have just
one of them, and the 2D X server is on some other display number.

I would suggest looking at the X server log to see if perhaps the nVidia
driver is having difficulty starting up. I personally have no
first-hand experience with EC2 instances. I know through user reports
that VGL works with them, but I haven't ever actually tested this myself.
Kevin Van Workum
2014-01-10 20:38:09 UTC
Can you explain why you're using Xvfb? If you're just trying to make a
video of your 3D application with ffmpeg, can't you just get it from the 3D
X server directly? For example:

ffmpeg -f x11grab -video_size cif -framerate 25 -i :0.0 /tmp/out.mpg
Post by Kevin Van Workum
Post by Stealthy
Post by Kevin Van Workum
Post by Stealthy
Post by Kevin Van Workum
Post by Stealthy
Post by Kevin Van Workum
Post by Stealthy
Post by Kevin Van Workum
Post by Stealthy
Post by Kevin Van Workum
Post by Stealthy
Post by Kevin Van Workum
Post by Stealthy
Post by Kevin Van Workum
Post by Stealthy
Post by Kevin Van Workum
Post by Kevin Van Workum
Post by Stealthy
Post by Kevin Van Workum
Post by Kevin Van Workum
Post by Stealthy
Post by Kevin Van Workum
Post by Kevin Van Workum
Post by Kevin Van Workum
Post by Stealthy
Post by Kevin Van Workum
Post by Kevin Van Workum
Post by Stealthy
Post by Kevin Van Workum
Post by Kevin Van Workum

DRC
2014-01-10 20:53:54 UTC
Post by Kevin Van Workum
Can you explain why you're using Xvfb? If you're just trying to make a
video of your 3D application with ffmpeg, can't you just get it from the
ffmpeg -f x11grab -video_size cif -framerate 25 -i :0.0 /tmp/out.mpg
I am no expert with ffmpeg, but I could envision this not working with
3D apps on the 3D X server, because when you are using DRI to render
OpenGL, the 3D pixels are bypassing the X server. Thus, it may be
necessary to use Xvfb and VGL. It does seem inefficient, though,
because you're reading back the pixels from the 3D X server, blitting
them to the 2D X server, and reading them back yet again. Depending on
the nature of the solution, it may be better to address the problem
using a VirtualGL image transport plugin.